Table tennis or ping-pong is a fast-paced competitive sport which began in the 1800’s and it is still very popular today. Whether you are playing double or single, this game can be a great way to burn calories and get fit if played intensely.
There are lists of benefit associated with playing table tennis. They include:
- Develops Hand-Eye Coordination: It helps stimulate concentration, mental alertness, and tactical strategy. Following the ball in different directions as it moves towards you, and as your opponent hits it, helps improve the hand-eye coordination.
- Improves Reflex: Playing table tennis improves fine muscle movement due to its fast-paced, short distance nature, and this helps increase the speed of your reflexes.
- Helps Burn Calories: Running back and forth to catch the ball in different directions can increase breathing and heart rate which will help in burning calories to keep fit after sometime.
- Develops Mental Acuity: The spin, speed, and placement of the ball are key determinants to a successful gameplay and constant players are skilled in solving puzzles and brain teaser.
- Keeps Children Focused: It helps develop the ability to maintain focus and concentration in children that has problem with focus or paying attention.
- Improves Body Balance: Being able to quickly change position and direction determines your success in this game and this helps improve your body balance.
- Help Maintain Sharp Brain: Playing table tennis increases blood flow to the brain due to the development of mental acuity, and this can possibly prevent dementia.
- Improves Strength: If you have pain in the ankle, leg, arm, or back, playing this game can be a great way to improve strength on those areas without over stressing the joints.
- Helps Relax the Nerves: This game involves total focus, so it is important to be calm and balanced. You have to know when to perform spin and let go of other thoughts.
- Helps Make New Friends: Playing table tennis is a great way to meet new people and make friends whether you play at home with friends and family members or in the community center. Since there is no age barrier in playing, it can help build relationships and improve communication irrespective of age. Playing at home with family members can also help to bring the family closer.
- Win or Lose: It feels so good to win this game, but at times, defeat is still okay. Losing a table tennis game to your opponent can help you get better and develop more strategy to win subsequently. You’ll also know which aspect of the gameplay you need to improve on.
- Stimulates the Brain: Hippocampus is a part of the brain responsible for firming and retaining long-term events and realities. By trying to figure out the opponents shot or spin, the prefrontal cortex for strategic planning is utilized and this exercise helps stimulate the hippocampus.
- Couples Therapy: The game of ping-pong can affect relationships positively. It is a great way to bond since it is a one-on-one game. It can help improve relationship between couples or help take it to the next level as playing this game can put couples in a position where they work as a team to solve a particular problem. This can have a great impact on their closeness and help solve disagreements. In the table tennis game, opponents can help each other to improve or learn new types of strokes together.